Saturday, February 9, 2008

Smokeytown Cafe [Creswick,VIC]

Most of us work hard throughout the week, and when our weekends finally arrive we like spend that small and precious amount of time enjoying ourselves. If you're a hopeless food junkie like me, then your weekends will no doubt involve an experience dining out somewhere. For me, Friday's have a Christmas-like feeling about them; it feels different and somehow, you expect more. My second visit to Smokeytown Cafe didn't feel Friday-like or even Christmas-like, in fact, it was like rain on Christmas day.

The period furniture and Art-Deco theme create a warm and welcoming atmosphere; particularly on this unusually cold February evening. Initially the service is prompt and we're welcomed by a friendly and not too zealous waiter. The menu is an eclectic mix of the 'usual suspects', but the specials board provides more hope with some interesting and unusual dishes. Chicken with banana and Camembert; Grilled prawns with spinach, roasted red peppers and rice; and, Fillet Mignon with wild mushrooms. We order a starter of herb and garlic breads and I decide on the grilled prawns. I was having visions of a tapas-like dish and the flavours of Spain.

The starters arrive, albeit after 20 minutes or so, and overall they're rather tasty. Nice warm, crusty bread oozing hot, melted butter with herbs and garlic. We continue to chat, eat and sip our wine. Tonight it's a local Sauvignon. The restaurant has a warm, old-world feeling about it and I'm really starting to feel welcomed and comfortable. Our mains arrive and I quickly scan the table to see what offerings my friends have ordered. Each plate has its own unique presentation and I'm impressed by the portions. My prawns are served in 'kitsch' clam shells with a lashing of fresh parsley and the faintest hint of chilli.

While the overall product was 'ok', the dish lacked a real sense of identity. It wasn't uniquely Spanish, nor did it have classic Mediterranean flavours. It was comfortable but didn't really set my mouth on fire. The tomato sauce was a 'touch' bland and acidic. I also wish the rice would have been fluffy and light, rather than tough and sticky. After adding a generous amount of salt, and lots of freshly-cracked black pepper for fire, the prawn dish cut it - albeit barely.

I left Smokeytown that night wondering, 'what could have been?' The ambiance, decor and starters were all promising, but I felt overwhelmingly disappointed with my choice of main. Portions were good, but stick to the good ol' staples.

No comments: